Wednesday 20 April 2011

Operation Mirror Image - Day 5

Op. M.I. Counter
Time so far today - 3 hours split as follows:
1.5hrs - applying hanging basket liner
1hr - applying vegetation
20mins - spray painting concrete
10mins - forming beach at rear
Running total - 14 hours over 5 days

Today saw another flurry of activity with the continuing warm weather. These next set of images show the work completed. First, HBL was applied to the banks of the river. Then ground cover was applied around the banks and around the engine shed using some Woodlands scenics foam based scatter. I also took this opportunity to add a few tufts from International Models at the front. The roads and aircraft apron were all spray painted to give a concrete feel to them similar to the prototype. Interestingly, the concrete really was the same colour as the Plastikote Suede Tan which is very useful. When using the same product, other modellers often tone it down with a bit of grey aerosol. The beach was also formed at the rear of the extension, but the only problem is that the baseboard was completely flat so I am not convinced by the results.

The last photo shows the board at the end of day 2. I have included this to show the two boards together. When I've finished all the messy jobs I will be able to couple the boards up so a more up-to-date photo can be taken. And just whilst I remember, I have ordered some trees for areas in front of where the backscene will go thanks to a suggestion from a couple of RMwebbers.

The next area to tackle will be the front of the layout - this will consist of a beach, groynes, sea and a slipway for the seaplanes.

No comments: