Saturday 9 July 2011

Fete Fantastic!

Well today as some of you will know was the layouts first outing since early May. I hadn't touched the layout since then and so I had no idea  whether it would work or not! However, luckily it did and so I set about making the hangar. Unfortunately I ran out of time and so the back of the hangar was roofless and the front had just a simple bit of textured paper led across it. It didn't look great!

However, I have noticed something - from up high the layout doesn't look particularly special, but as I hope these low level shots prove, from eye level it looks pretty good. I am tempted to make the layout higher but then again I don't want to upset wheelchair users or kids...

Anyway, at the start of the day I wasn't impressed with the look of the layout, however as I started to take some low level photos I realised it was OK, so long as you focused away from the incomplete hangar and poor SG ballasting! Eventually the hangar will be complete, the whole layout tidied up and minor niggles sorted out...

The fete went really well and I got some good feedback from the public. The event was well organised and the sausage bap was absolutely lovely!

On with the photos (I've uploaded them as full-res versions, so just click on them to open up the large versions):























Till next time,
Jam

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. Great work. I have been enjoying browsing the photos for some days. Where did you find plans for some of the buildings and did you manage to discover what the original track plan was for the prototype railway?

Jam said...

Hi. Many thanks! It's nice to know I've got a strong collection of followers! I didn't actually use any plans for any of the buildings - all I do is work from prototype photos and get distances from Google Earth! The narrow gauge prototype has a very interesting track plan indeed. If you are interested I can post it up?
Of course, the standard gauge didn't exist at Calshot but the NG certainly did and was quite extensive - especially around the 'Top Camp'. Thanks again for your comment.
Jam