Thursday 5 August 2010

More progress on Calshot II


The construction of Calshot - Weathering, modelling quay walls and general progress

 
Well, work is ongoing on Calshot II. I have experimented with weathering as it is something I have always wanted to try but never really been confident with trying out. The first image shows my two weathered wagons (I'm yet to work out how to weather the roof). First the wagons were given a wash of a browny colour and then mostly dabbed off with a cotton bud. The raised metal detail is then painted with a red/orange rust colour, paying attention to get paint into the corners. I am unsure if it looks good enough so I'd appreciate constructive comments - I can post more photos if required.

In other news, I have 'planted' some balsa quay piles (awaiting painting) and started some infilling using 'Fab Foam' which is just the right height for 00 track. The 00 track has been glued down as has some of the NG - the rest will have to wait till I get some insulated fishplates. 

Any comments, suggestions just write them down and I'll be happy to receive them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do so like ready-distresses walls!

My own layout has a lot of sheep and stone walls - most of which are ready-distressed. It's set in the Peak District in Derbyshire where the landscape is pretty much to the fore.

http://derwentmidland.blogspot.com/

Would you like to exchange links, perhaps?

Jam said...

Thanks for the comment. I've put a link to your blog in my blogs of interest list.

Your layout looks great and I'll have to read more of your blog later.

Anonymous said...

Cheers J!

Thanks for the link - and I'm eager to see your progress too.