Thursday 14 April 2011

Things what I 'ave bought!

I finally got round to making some purchases! I've been umming and aahing about what I should buy for quite a long time now. After finally having made up my mind I decided to plump for the following:

Acquisition no. 1 Steiermischen Landesbahn diesel shunter VL6 is seen here after having arrived from Germany after a certain lack of motive power on the RAF NG Railway at Calshot. It is surprising to note that it is a brand new engine although it looks like some modifications may have to be made in order for the loco to be used on the line.
Here she is seen on a temporary bit of track on the spit undergoing trials with some old repainted stock. The model is absolutely exquisite - the tiny wiper blades are simply fantastic. I'm sure she will run as good as she looks too.
And with my thumb for scale! (sorry about the orientation of the photo).
Acquisition no. 2 - Seen in the background is a little Pug 0-4-0 dock shunter. Shipped down all the way from 'oop North' we can see her hauling a rather grimy tanker outside the Belfast lattice truss hangar.
Acquisition no. 3 - 'Level crossing hut'. I couldn't resist this little gem of a model! It will be used on the new extension as a guard hut for the RAF. 
Acquisition no. 4 - Esso tankers (x3)(weathered). These were another impulse buy! Knowing Fawley was such a big refinery, I guessed I might need a few of these on the Calshot branch. They look the business and are nicely weighted.

A close up of 51235. What a cracker of a model. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this model and I can't wait to see it running on the layout!

Below are some initial 3D visualisations of the new extension:

In the background, the 'holes in the sky' will be covered by trees which will symbol the personnel camp at Eaglehurst (the terminus of the RAF NG railway). There will be a seaplane apron at the front with the sea, beach and perhaps even a couple beach huts visible in the foreground. In the mid area there will be a stream running from left to right with a SG line behind it. A personnel platform will also be provided. I will need to make a new backscene for all this. Oh yes, and the cruncher - I've got until the 30th April. Nothing like a deadline etc etc!...

No comments: