Sunday 16 January 2011

Calshot - Painting and structure modelling


After having been unable to make any progress on the layout for about a month I was getting fed up. Today I decided to take a break from revision and crack out the paints and glues.

Firstly, here is the castle gatehouse before painting took place:



Secondly, the other side after painting had been 'finished':



I decided to also paint the outer wall of the castle to try and tone down the bright white clay. Here I have gouged out some of the clay and inserted some old brickwork to suggest a crumbling outer skin. I will add cracks in due course:



The next job was to sort out the castle roof. Here are the new buildings on top with a little scratchbuilt lean to. This will need to be painted with some rust streaks at some point.





As a side note, I am thinking of adding lighting to the buildings on  Calshot. Obviously I will need to paint the insides of buildings black and fill up all the gaps, but I am hoping it will bring a new life to the layout. I am looking into some RAF era street lights (if such things exist!)...



Please feel free to comment or add any observations!

No comments: